In order to prep for our upcoming arrival, we have been trying to make freezer dinners to see which ones we like before we make a ton. This dinner was sooooo good and so easy to make, also it fed us three times!!!
Easy Cheesy Mexican Chicken: A Slow Cooker Recipe
Yields: Serves: 4
Slow cooked chicken, vegetables, and cheese sauce make for a delicious, healthy, and EASY meal served over brown rice.
▪ 2-3 chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
▪ 1 16 ounce jar of your favorite salsa
▪ 1 cup black beans
▪ Optional: 1 cup cooked, pureed squash or pumpkin (for added tasteless nutrition!) -I DID NOT ADD THIS
▪ 1 cup of organic frozen corn kernels (canned and drained works too)
▪ 4 ounces of low fat cream cheese
▪ 2 cups cooked brown rice
▪ 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
▪ Topping ideas: shredded lettuce, diced avocado, sour cream, diced onion, minced jalepenos, chopped black olives
1) In a slow cooker, add chicken and top with salsa, black beans, and squash/pumpkin. Stir until combined.
2) Cover and cook on high heat for about 3 hours or low heat for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender and white throughout.
3) Remove chicken and cut into bite sized pieces or shred it. Add to slow cooker. Add corn and cubed cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese melts and blends into sauce and corn is warm.
4) Serve over brown rice with shredded cheese and your favorite toppers.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
If you plan to freeze this for later (like these meals), go ahead and fully cook. Let it cool. Store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours and warm on low over the stove or in the microwave. For a quick thaw, use the defrost setting on the microwave.
- See more at: http://thrivinghomeblog.com/2010/01/easy-cheesy-mexican-chicken/#sthash.JMxQNgiW.dpuf